I don’t know about you, but I’m not a huge fan of sticking things in my ears. Sure, earbuds do their job, but after a while they make my ears really itchy. Not to mention it blocks out your surroundings and make it difficult to hear coworkers approaching your cubicle, on coming traffic and other important environment processing information.
Luckily, there are options for ear bud hating people like me. Wireless options even! The Aftershokz Gamez headset is “a wireless bone conduction headset for safe gaming on PC, Mac and mobile devices. The lightweight, open ear design keeps gamers connected to the game and their surroundings while PremiumPitch+™ audio creates an immersive stereo environment for gaming at home or on the go.”
What is bone conduction? According to Wikipedia “Bone conduction is the conduction of sound to the inner ear through the bones of the skull. Bone conduction transmission can be used with individuals with normal or impaired hearing.” I’m intrigued!
- Bone conduction technology delivers music through your cheekbones, ensuring ears remain completely open to hear surroundings
- OpenFit™ design ensures maximum awareness and comfort during long-term wear
- PremiumPitch+™ guarantees a premium audio experience, including wide dynamic range and rich bass
- LeakSlayer™ technology significantly reduces natural sound leakage
- Precisely placed dual noise canceling microphones exclude surrounding noise, and enhance speech, ideal for clear communication with other gamers during play
- Enjoy six hours of continuous play on a single charge
- EQ presets boost bass and reduce vibration
- IP55 certified to repel sweat, dust and moisture
- Audrey Says™ voice prompts guide users through power, pair, play and talk
- Hassle-free 2-year warranty
If you’re not used to wearing a headset that goes around the back of your head, sporting the Aftershokz Gamez might take a little getting used to. My teenage son complained they were uncomfortable immediately after putting them on. I, however, forgot I was wearing them after 15 minutes and liked how easy they were to hide under my hair.
The Gamez headset is wireless and connects to your PC, Mac, and mobile devices via bluetooth technology. The ability to make phone calls, chat in game and listen to game audio without being deaf to your environment is it’s biggest selling point. I was hoping that the sound wouldn’t bleed out, but the truth is those near by will be able to hear what you’re listening to, as is the case with most other headsets/earbuds.
I don’t know if it was intentional, but the metallic green color makes me immediately think Master Chief, which I’m sure some of you will appreciate.
The headset itself comes with a USB charger, an adjustable tension band, reflector stickers and an AfterShokz branded pouch to store it all. (Retail price: $99.95)
To purchase, visit: AfterShokz.com or enter using the widget below to win yourself a pair.