Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones is a fantastic little horror game based in H.P. Lovecraft’s worlds made by Cultic Games. It has beautiful artwork, tactical turn-based combat, and rich roleplay. So if you like games with spoopy feels and great gameplay, check it out!
Personally, I’ve never read any Lovecraft (*gasp* I know, I know…). But I love horror and fantasy so this game was right up my alley. Stygian starts with the creation of a character, you’ll get to customize attributes, class, name, etc. letting you make the game more your own. The town of Arkham is pulled into a new, shadow-filled place full of terror. You set out to investigate what is going on and do your best to survive.
There is a lot of story to be had in the game, with plentiful options and characters to have dialog with. You can take your time and explore every dark corner of the game. Better yet you can play it again with a different character set up to try and do things differently. All in all, it’s about 15-20 hours of gameplay each time, a happy medium between short and long.
If you know me, you know I loooove games with great artwork. This War of Mine, The Long Dark, League of Legends are some of my favorite games because of the gorgeous art styles each has. Stygian has definitely joined the ranks with its artwork.
- A hand-drawn 2D world that reflects the mood of Lovecraft and cosmic horror.
- Quests and storylines which capture the iconic themes of Lovecraft. Take part in your favorite horror stories and shape their outcome according to your role-playing style.
- Weirdest of companions will accompany you in your accursed journey. Lonely antediluvian of ‘The Outsider’, a dead WW1 soldier reanimated in the hands of Herbert West, a psychic narcissistic cat from Ulthar and many more will be among your eccentric cast of companions.
- Sanity and the mental state of the character will have an influence on the dialog options. Mental conditions create benefits as well as hindrances. Sometimes being mad in a mad world helps!
- Belief Systems determine how your characters handle the challenging reality around them and help regenerate lost sanity. Belief Systems also offer unique dialogue options thus extending the roleplaying possibilities that players can explore. A rational character gains sanity after completing research on a mythos creature while a divine believer gains sanity after converting a lost soul to the path of God.
- A unique spell system which sometimes takes more than what it gives. The black magic of Stygian is very potent but will cost you your mind, health and sometimes your very soul. Being a master of the true occult is not like flinging colorful missiles from your fingertips.
- Turn based strategic combat in beautiful 2D Heroes of Might and Magic-like perspective.
- 8 different archetypes with completely unique prologue stories and specialties to breathe life into the Lovecraftian archetypes.
- The struggle is not for saving the world, that battle is lost already. Follow your personal goals for salvation or vendetta in a doomed world.
I highly recommend checking out this game if you’re looking for an interesting story with solid mechanics. Why don’t you join the other people who’ve picked it up on Steam? Or if you would like to save some dough, head over to Fanatical and use my affiliate link!
This game was provided to me for review purposes. All opinions are my own.